Home

Announce-ments

History

Vietnam Photos

Battalion Honors

Units

Signal Corps

Honor Roll

Taps

I Am Your Flag

Reunions

Links

Contact Us

 

THE HISTORY OF

THE 459th SIGNAL BATTALION (CA)

 

"A TERRA AD ASTRA"

             The 459th Signal Battalion was first constituted on August 10, 1942 in the United States Army as the 459th Signal Construction Battalion, Aviation, and was activated on 29, August 1942 at Morris Field, North Carolina. On October 5, 1944, the battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 459th Signal Heavy Construction Battalion, Aviation. Following service in World War Two at Normandy, Northern France and Central Europe, the battalion was deactivated at Camp Pinedale, California on 24 December 1945. The battalion was redesignated on 3 April 1962 as the 459th Signal Battalion (Combat Area) and allotted to the Regular Army. On 25 May 1962, the battalion was activated at Fort Huachuca, Arizona and was made up of a Headquarters Company and four line companies A, B, C, & D. The battalion was stationed at Fort Huachuca and participated in several major military training exercises over a number of years. The 459th Signal Battalion was released from the control of the Sixth United States Army in October of 1966 and transferred to the U.S. Army Pacific (USARPAC). The battalion, (minus an advanced party), was flown to Oakland Army Terminal in California where it embarked on the troopship USNS Upshur (T-AP-198), for the journey to South Vietnam. The Upshur departed Oakland, California on the 3rd of October 1966. Upon reaching South Vietnam, Companies C & D left the ship at Qui Nhon and were assigned to two other Signal Battalions. The balance of the battalion, HHC, A and B companies disembarked at Nha Trang and took up headquarters at Camp John F. McDermott. While in Vietnam, the battalion was assigned to the control of the 21st Signal Group, First Signal Brigade. During its service in Vietnam, the battalion was assigned several other signal units. These units included the 228 th, 261st and 518 th Signal Companies and detachments from the 362nd Signal Company and the 213 th Signal Detachment. The 459 th Signal Battalion served in South Vietnam until it was deactivated there on 30 November 1971. All the units of the battalion, except company C and the 362nd detachment, were awarded the Army's Meritorious Unit Commendation, by the Secretary of the Army, for exceptionally meritorious service in Vietnam. Following many years of inactive status, the battalion was once again reactivated in Germany on 16 September 1993. Due to military downsizing, the battalion was deactivated in Germany on 15 September 1994. The 459th Signal Battalion has a proud history and has lived up to its motto "A Terra Ad Astra" by providing superior military communications "From the earth to the stars".

 

 

                                  USNS Upshur  Page                                               Viet Nam Photos

E-Mail the Webmaster with questions or comments about this Web Site.